the place to be
Thursday January 21st 2021

Financial Help for those struggling due to COVID-19

If you are struggling to pay your rent or council tax we can provide some financial support which may help you if your income is reduced by illness, the need to self-isolate, job loss or a reduction in work hours.

Follow these guidelines, if you receive:

  • Housing benefit – please e-mail a recent proof of income so your housing benefit can be updated.
  • Universal Credit (UC) – your monthly UC payment should reflect your change in circumstances. You should e-mail your work coach from your journal to explain the situation and also complete a change of circumstances form.

If you are self-employed or don’t receive any benefits, you may be eligible for Universal Credit because the application rules and minimum income limit have changed because of the pandemic.

If you are unable to apply online for Universal Credit, you can call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on the freephone number 0800 328 5644.

You may be entitled to assistance with a discretionary housing payment if there is a gap between the amount of rent you have to pay and the amount of benefit you receive.

You can apply for council tax support if you’re unemployed or on a low income by completing this form and e-mailing it to