the place to be
Thursday April 15th 2021

Dealing with Rubbish Responsibly

Last year 55% of fly tipping (about half a million incidents) involved rubbish from households.

Anyone having work carried out at their home must check the person disposing of the waste has a waste carriers licence. This affects anyone who has hired builders, gardeners or scrap metal merchants to take materials away from their home.

If the householder does not check the person has a licence, the chances are the rubbish will be dumped down one of Tandridge’s green and leafy lanes and the householder could be liable and even be fined for not passing their waste on to an authorised person.

When waste is passed from one person to another, a written description of that waste and details of the transfer must be made.

To find out if someone has a licence, contact the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 and ask for a Waste Carrier Validation Check, or visit

A reward of up to £500 is offered by the Council to anyone who provides information which leads to a successful prosecution for fly tipping. Call 0800 783 4843 to report fly tipping, send an e-mail to, or fill in the online form on

For more information contact Giuseppina Valenza, Communications Manager, on 01883 732704.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.